Demystifying LinkedIn to Build Your Personal Brand
Jo Saunders, LinkedIn Expert
Now more than ever the power of the first impression matters. LinkedIn presents an opportunity to sculpt your digital footprint and lead people to your organisation.
- Do you have a profile that stands out and connects to your organisation?
- Are you building a network of relevant professionals?
- Are you engaging with people of influence and those who are connected to them?
Thanks for attending my LinkedIn presentation.
LinkedIn Session Overview
Watch time 20 mins
The 5 Most Important Parts of Your LinkedIn Profile
- Visuals – Consider the impression your profile photo and background make.
- Value – Craft positioning copy with personality for your Headline, About and Experience.
- Validation – Leverage skill endorsement and Recommendations.
- Video – Create a compelling video (and other media) to support your profile.
- Voice – Share your passion and personality through relevant engagement, posts and articles.
Connect or follow the people of influence, the organisations they work with, and the people you want to influence.
- Who are the decision-makers that you could follow or connect to?
- Who else works for or with the organisation that is worth engaging with?
- Don’t forget to follow the company page.
Refer to my LinkedIn Profile Blueprint to help you get started reviewing and updating your LinkedIn profile. Then engage my help to review your LinkedIn presence and stay in action should you need support.
LinkedIn Profile Blueprint
LinkedIn Profile Blueprint Updates
If you would like to receive an update of my blueprint whenever it is updated (as LinkedIn changes) then feel free to sign up for updates via this LINK.
What are your top 3 actions or tips you took away from the presentation? Email me, message me or share with an image and @mention me on LinkedIn, or your social media platform of choice.
FOLLOW OR CONNECT
5 LinkedIn Mistakes
- 3rd Person – It is hard to connect with someone talking about themselves, so write in the first person.
- 1-way communication – Talking AT your network isn’t the best way to build relationships – Engage and talk WITH them.
- Incomplete – Minimal info and gaps can lead to questions. Increase your visibility and impact by completing each section of your profile.
- Out of date – If you haven’t touched your profile for 5 years, now is the time to review it. Update your profile images and content often to reflect who and where you are now.
- Not having one! – Not being found can hurt your professional brand. Make it easy for others to find, engage and reference you. Invest in your digital footprint.
10 LinkedIn Profile Essentials
- Branded headline – 120 character positioning statement. WATCH >>>
- Branded visuals – Use a photo of the version of you that shows up to meetings with new clients, decision-makers or stakeholders. And embrace visual storytelling with your background image.
- 1st person copy – Tell your story with personality, and infuse passion and purpose using my framework (refer to LinkedIn Profile Blueprint).
- Optimised experience – Focus on outcomes and achievements (include internships and work experience).
- Media – Include a video introduction to your profile, or your organisation or cause, media stories, achievements, PDF resume or bio, portfolio links …
- Relevant skills – Make the top 3 pinned skills the most relevant and seek endorsement.
- Recommendations – Ask for them and give them where relevant. READ: How to say thanks with a LinkedIn Recommendation
- Contact details – Make sure they are up to date and professional: mobile – email – website/blog.
- Connect to organisations – Link your experience and education to the correct Page
- Add value – Find your voice and start putting yourself out there by creating and sharing content (posts and articles) and most importantly engaging with your network. READ: How to publish content on LinkedIn
- 21 Steps to a perfect LinkedIn presence
- Subscribe to #TheLinkedInCouch where we discuss LinkedIn tips about positioning, connection and content with a focus on how to use video with your LinkedIn strategy.
- Join the FREE 7 Day LinkedIn Challenge
- Follow Wildfire Social Marketing’s LinkedIn Page
Book a Profile Review or schedule a chat with Jo Saunders